IS HE REALLY GOING OUT WITH HER?
Having a boy that you’re close to but have absolutely no intention of snogging rocks. He could be your big bro, cousin, that lad you made mates with at drama club or just one of the gang that gets you but doesn’t want to get together with you.
But what happens when he starts going out with a girl you don’t rate? Don’t lose your mate for a girl you hate. Be cunning and use the fact that you know him better than her and learn how to survive his gruesome girlfriend.
The problem: He’s ignoring you
“I’d been mates with Tom since reception when boys and girls are meant to hate each other. Then along came Mary and she made it SO obvious that she didn’t want me cramping her style. So every time I’d bump into them at school she’d make this face or start talking really loudly on her phone until eventually he got the message and started ignoring me.”
1) Call him when he’s most happy. After a footie match/dinner/watching Angeline Jolie (delete as appropriate).
2) Get him chatting about said fave thing, then just as he’s ranting end the conversation abruptly as if you’ve got to go.
3) He’ll call you back desperate to carry on chatting. Agree, but insist she doesn’t come with him.
Repeat until he realises he can’t do without you.
The problem: She slags him off
“When my best boy mate Paulo started going out with Anna, I loved having a new girl around all the time. After a few weeks she has started to really moan about him – but not to his face, just to me. I couldn’t stand how two-faced she was but I didn’t want to be the one to tell him what a bitch she was.”
1) Invite both of them to yours to watch a film.
2) Purposefully forget some popcorn and send him out to get some.
3) Get her slagging him off just as he comes back in the door.
He’ll get the message.
“Dazza has got two jobs so has got some cash to fling about. When he hooked up with Nicky I knew she liked him for what she thought he represented rather than who he was. She proves this all the time ‘cause she spends her dosh on clothes and pretends she doesn’t go shopping to him and then sponges insisting that he pays for her share of meals and getting into stuff.”
1) Arrange a meal out with them and other people who you’ve clued up about the sitch.
2) Flatter her and tell her how great her new clobber is. She won’t be able to resist telling you where it’s from and how much.
3) After you’ve eaten, put the bill in front of her and say you’re all splitting it equally.
She’ll either be too embarrassed to try to get him to pay or she’ll kick up a fuss and he’ll see what she’s really like.